In my ongoing attempt to morph myself into the kind of adult I want to be, one step has been the theoretically shallow attempt to dress a bit better. To that end some time ago I brainstormed about a minimal “adult” wardrobe.
I’ve actually pursued this some, and since some people seemed interested, I thought I would update.
Here’s the original list:
- Two well cut dark wash jeans
- One dark color non-jean pair of casual pants (chino’s, I guess)
- One pair of proper “dressy” pants
- One good suit
- Six or seven nice, but casual button down shirts
- Two dress shirts
- A handful of nice ties
- Good black shoes
- Good brown shoes
- Two good blazers/jackets
Of that, I have:
- One well cut pair of dark wash jeans.
- One pair of gray flat-front slacks
- One really nice button down dress shirt
- Two nice casual button downs
- Good balck shoes
- One black blazer
It’s a start. The most interesting thing I found was that much of this was already in my wardrobe. I just needed to pull those pieces out and not combine them with cruddy, baggy clothes, since then they looked awful. And in more than one instance I found actually taking them to the tailor to get the fit improved was incredibly helpful. Seriously, if there’s a lesson here, it’s that tailors are your friend.